Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Molding Moulding?


I went to Beronio last week to look at moldings for the upstairs. Beronio is like a wood superstore. Molding is yet another thing that I didn't realize that you have to have all picked out even at the framing stage to make sure that you leave enough room for the casings on the doors, the lights switches, plugs, etc. Or if you want to do crown molding or picture frame molding then you need to do additional framing to hold them. Who knew? I certainly didn't.

I took the remnants of the picture frame molding and baseboard that we had salvaged from the original house over to Beronio. Only one room in our house still had original trim and they were in really bad condition, so they had to go. I didn't expect to find the exact replicas, but wanted them along for inspiration in an attempt to keep with the original spirit of the house. I nosed around a bit myself for awhile and couldn't find anything close and was on my way out the door when this crazy guy stopped me and offered to help. His help involved telling me about 10 times how ugly he thought that the original plaster picture frame moldings and wooden baseboards were and that I was basically crazy to try and even get close to imitating them. Instead, he showed me a few other stock items that they had. I finally managed to wrangle myself away from him after about ten minutes feeling rather defeated about my little moldings. 

The next day, I went to Victoriana which is this amazing mill tucked under a freeway overpass perfectly located en route from our temporary housing at Cristina's to our house. They only make moldings and I sighed a big gulp of relief when I walked in and immediately spotted 15 plaster picture frame moldings somewhat resembling ours. I brought my salvaged pieces to the counter and the employees all came over to admire them and tell me how beautiful they were. I knew I was in the right spot. I found some moldings for our downstairs studio which are in the pic above. It's a little more modern and less ornate since the studio isn't exactly original. The upstairs will have a nice deep baseboard moulding for the 10'6" ceilings and more ornate casings for the doors. It's the plaster ceiling medallions that I'm most excited about though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment